RRRT in Tonga
RRRT trainings resulted in four strategic campaigns;
- One focussed on the drive and support towards VAW legislative change. The stakeholders lobby and strategy resulted in a draft bill which is currently at the AG's office. Ongoing awareness is still required before the bill passes through parliament.
- Campaign on removal of discriminatory provisions in the criminal code (sodomy and cross dressing) that affect LGBT rights in Tonga.
- Addressing and integrating a measure to prevent violence against children in schools through the VAW Education Policy.
- Increased awareness and understanding of new constitutional and political reforms and its impact on communities
Past support included;
- Community para-legal trainings
- Amendments to the Citizenship Act, recognising gender equality, 2007
- The HIV, Ethics and Human Rights review in Tonga, 2009
For further information about RRRT's achievements in the region, visit Our Achievements page.